Greenville in Hunt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Built in 1886 for Greenville merchant and civic leader Joseph P. Germany (1856-1932) and his new wife Polly (Tolbert) (1862-1889), this simplified second empire style house is distinguished by such hallmarks as its straight mansard roof and tower. Germany married Eloise Conger in 1893 following Polly's death. He helped establish Burleson College in 1895, served as city councilman and city treasurer and managed the city electric plant in 1900. In the early 1900s, ten members of Joseph and Eloise's family lived in the house at once. The Germany family occupied the house for more than 90 years.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1999
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12090.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Notable Buildings.
Location. 33° 8.388′ N, 96° 6.879′ W. Marker is in Greenville, Texas, in Hunt County. Marker is on Lee Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3403 Lee Street, Greenville TX 75401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other Hunt County's First Railroad (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Old Greenville Post Office (approx. ¼ mile away); Greenville "Herald" (approx. ¼ mile away); Greenville Building and Loan Association (approx. ¼ mile away); Greenville (approx. 0.3 miles away); Central Christian Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); W.R.J. Camp House (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenville.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 2, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 2, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.