Greenville in Hunt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Established April 1869 by J. C. Bayne. Is oldest business institution in county. E. W. Harris, later owner, started daily, 1890. W. C. Poole family owned it 1914-1956, when Harte-Hanks chain purchased and merged it with "Banner." Matt Sheley is now "Herald Banner" publisher.
Erected 1969 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7798.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1869.
Location. 33° 8.443′ N, 96° 6.632′ W. Marker is in Greenville, Texas, in Hunt County. Marker is on King Street north of Lee Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2305 King Street, Greenville TX 75401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Greenville Building and Loan Association (within shouting distance of this marker); The Old Greenville Post Office (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hunt County's First Railroad (about 600 feet away); Greenville (about 700 feet away); Central Christian ChurchW.R.J. Camp House (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1929 Hunt County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Seven Courthouses of Hunt County (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenville.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 2, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 71 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 2, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.