Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Fredericksburg in Gillespie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Johann Joseph Knopp House

 
 
The Johann Joseph Knopp House Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, January 1, 2021
1. The Johann Joseph Knopp House Marker
Inscription.  

Built of native stone in 1871, soon after Knopp and his wife Katherina (Stein) came to America. From Germany they traveled six weeks by clipper ship to Indianola and by oxcart to Fredericksburg. They bought this homesite for $70 in gold. Knopp was a stonemason; family farm, a mile from this home, was worked by the wife and children. (Of the 15 children born to the Knopps, nine reached adulthood.) House, restored in 1939, was extensively remodeled in 1968.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1971

In 1939, Fredericksburg's Historical Preservation era was opened when Architect Albert Keidel restored this house. Later (1968) remodeling was done by Mrs. Marschall D. Altgelt, a member of the family of the city's founder, John O. Meusebach.
 
Erected 1971 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 10066.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 30° 16.845′ N, 98° 52.521′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Texas, in Gillespie
The side of the Johann Joseph Knopp House with marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, January 1, 2021
2. The side of the Johann Joseph Knopp House with marker
County. Marker is at the intersection of North Milam Street and West Schubert Street, on the right when traveling north on North Milam Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 309 West Schubert Street, Fredericksburg TX 78624, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Christian Crenwelge Place (a few steps from this marker); Vogel Sunday House (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gun Cap Factory (approx. 0.2 miles away); Republic of Texas German Immigrant Trail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Heinrich Bierschwale House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Kammlah House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Henry Cordes House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
 
Also see . . .  Germans. In the late 1830s German immigration to Texas was widely publicized in the Fatherland. The publicity attracted a group of petty noblemen who envisioned a project to colonize German peasants in Texas.  Source: The Handbook of Texas (Submitted on January 3, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The front of the Johann Joseph Knopp House image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, January 1, 2021
3. The front of the Johann Joseph Knopp House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 2, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 3, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 2, 2021