Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Los Angeles in Los Angeles County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Sepúlveda House

La Casa Sepúlveda

 

— El Pueblo de Los Angeles —

 
Sepúlveda House Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, December 4, 2018
1. Sepúlveda House Marker
Inscription.  Señora Francisca Gallardo was granted a house lot between Bath Street and Vine Street (later named Olvera Street) in 1847. In 1881 she gave the adobe to her niece, Eloisa Martínez de Sepúlveda. When Bath Street was widened and made an extension of Main Street in 1886, Eloisa lost 1,600 square feet of her mother’s lot and part of the family adobe. As a replacement, the following year she built a combination business and residential building with an unusual Eastlake Victorian design. It had a triangular cable and two large bay windows topped with iron cresting. The rough brick façade on Main Street was painted a reddish brown color and penciled with white paint to resemble the precise lines of mortar between the bricks.

The 22 room building had two large stores fronting on Main Street, and for boarders, fourteen bedrooms and a bathroom on the second floor. Señora Sepúlveda’s private quarters in the rear were separated from the stores by a breezeway. In 1901 she gate the building to her favorite niece and goddaughter, Eloisa Martínez de Gibbs who married Edward Gibbs, a City Councilman. Several of the Gibbs children were born
La Casa Sepúlveda Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, December 4, 2018
2. La Casa Sepúlveda Marker
in the Sepúlveda House. Señora Sepúlveda died in 1903 and the Gibbs family moved away in 1905, but owned the building until the State of California took it over in 1958.

In the 1930s, after the Mexican marketplace had opened on Olvera Street, Christine Sterling persuaded Forman Brown and his partners to open their “Yale Puppeteers“ in the building. She also invited photographers Viroque Baker and Ernest Pratt to set up their studios on the second floor. In the 1940s, during World War II, a USO canteen was located in the building, proving recreation for the thousands of troops passing through Union Station.

(plaque opposite)
A la Señora Francisca Gallardo se le otorgó un lote entre las calles de Bath y Vine (con posterioridad llamada Calle Olvera) en 1847. En 1881 le dió adobe que allí había construido a su sobrina, Eloisa Martínez de Sepúlveda. Cuando en 1886 se amplió la Calle Bath para hacerla una extensión de la Calle Main, Eloisa perdió 1600 pies cuadrados del terreno que era de su madre y parte del adobe familiar. Al año siguiente, como reemplazo, construyó un edificio que era una combinación de comercial y residencial, con un diseño Eastlake Victoriano poco usual. Tenía un techo triangular y dos grandes ventanas sobresalientes coronadas con crestería de hiero. La áspera fachada de ladrillo sobre la Calle Main fue pintada
Sepúlveda House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, December 4, 2018
3. Sepúlveda House and Marker
de un color marrón rojizo y trazada con pintura blanca para asemejarse a la línea precisa del mortero entre los ladrillos.

El edificio de veintidós cuartos tenía dos grandes locales comerciales que daban a la Calle Main, y para los pensionistas, catorce cuartos y un baño en el segundo piso. En la parte de atrás estaban los aposentos privados de la Señora Sepúlveda, separados de los locales comerciales mediante un pasillo abierto. En 1901 le dio el edificio a su sobrina favorita y aijada, Eloisa Martínez de Gibbs, quien se había casado con Edward Gibbs, un concejal de la Ciudad. Varios de los niños de los Gibbs nacieron en la Casa Sepúlveda. La Señora Sepúlveda falleció en 1903 y la familia Gibbs se mudó en 1905, pero siguió siendo la propietaria del edificio hasta que el Estado de California se hizo cargo de él en 1958.

En la década de 1930, después de que se abriera el mercado mexicano en la Calle Olvera, Christine Sterling persuadió a Forman Brown y sus socios para que presentaran sus “Marionetas de Yale” en el edificio. También invitó a los fotógrafos Viroque Baker y Ernest Pratt a que instalaran sus estudios en el segundo piso. En la década de 1940, durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial, en el segundo piso había una cantina del USO (Organizaciones de los Estados Unidos) que brindaba recreación a las miles de tropas que paraban a través de la
Sepulveda House image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, December 4, 2018
4. Sepulveda House
Union Station.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
 
Location. 34° 3.462′ N, 118° 14.295′ W. Marker is in Los Angeles, California, in Los Angeles County. Marker is on North Main Street south of Cesar E. Chavez Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 622 N Main St, Los Angeles CA 90012, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sepulveda House (a few steps from this marker); Pelanconi House & Pelanconi Warehouse (a few steps from this marker); Pelanconi Warehouse (a few steps from this marker); Machine Shop (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Sepulveda House (within shouting distance of this marker); Hammel Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Jones Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Pelanconi House (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Los Angeles.
 
Sepulveda House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, December 4, 2018
5. Sepulveda House and Marker
These marker plaques are on the trellis to the right of the tree, facing the building. The other Sepulveda House marker, the blue one, can be seen on the column on the right.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 3, 2021, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 47 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 3, 2021, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.   4, 5. submitted on December 27, 2020, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 6, 2021