Greenville in Hunt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Gen. Hal C. Horton Home
First two-story brick house in Greenville. Erected in 1885-1887 in typical Victorian style. Built by the Will N. Harrisons, prominent pioneers. Contractor H. C. "Jack" Horton (father of Gen. Horton) made the brick at "Puddin' Hill." That land, settled 1846 by Horton family, is now owned by Hal C. Horton, Colonel in U. S. Army and General in National Guard. He and Mrs. Horton bought and remodeled house, 1929, using walnut from "Puddin' Hill" farm.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1969
Erected 1969 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 7814.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Notable Buildings.
Location. 33° 7.744′ N, 96° 5.892′ W. Marker is in Greenville, Texas, in Hunt County. Marker is on Moulton Street north of Walton Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3925 Moulton Street, Greenville TX 75401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fred Douglass Elementary School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Benjamin D. MartinLallie P. Carlisle (approx. half a mile away); Kavanaugh Methodist Church (approx. half a mile away); Ende-Gaillard House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Mary Jim Morris (approx. 0.6 miles away); Library Movement in Greenville (approx. 0.6 miles away); Greenville Cotton Compress (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenville.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 3, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 3, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.