Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Central College in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Blendon Church Bell

 
 
Blendon Church Bell Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., December 28, 2008
1. Blendon Church Bell Marker
Inscription.  This bell came from the Blendon Presbyterian Church (1830-1865) according to William C. Phelps (1881-1967), a great-great-grandson of Edward Phelps Sr. (1759-1840), first settler of Blendon Twp. and donor of the church land at the southwest corner of Dempsey and Hempstead roads, and great-grandson of Gideon Hart (1795-1859) who furnished timber for the church. The Hart Homestead (1820-1922), 7328 Hempstead Road, was acquired by Emmett Fickell, who located the bell in the barn. In 1941 he gave it to Mr. and Mrs. M. R. McVay, who repaired and preserved it. The bell was presented to the Central College United Presbyterian Church by the McVays at ceremonies sponsored by the Amalthea Historical Society on May 14, 1981.
 
Erected 1981 by Mr. and Mrs. M. R. McVay and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 10-25.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Historic Bells 🔔, and the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series lists.
 
Location.
Blendon Church Bell and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., December 28, 2008
2. Blendon Church Bell and Marker
Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 40° 5.99′ N, 82° 53.382′ W. Marker was in Central College, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker could be reached from South Sunbury Road, on the right when traveling south. The marker is next to its namesake bell, between the old and new sanctuaries of Central College Presbyterian Church. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 975 S Sunbury Rd, Westerville OH 43081, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. The Ellsworth Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); Central College Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Clarence Boal Hoover / Charles Potter Hoover (approx. 0.6 miles away); Blendon Township War Memorial (approx. 0.8 miles away); Blendon Central Cemetery (approx. 0.8 miles away); First Blendon Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Edward Phelps (approx. 0.9 miles away); Blendon Township's Early Presbyterian Churches and Church Bell (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Central College.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 18, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 754 times since then and 9 times this year. Last updated on January 4, 2021, by Grant & Mary Ann Fish of Galloway, Ohio. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 18, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 2, 2021