Newington in Screven County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
North Newington Baptist Church
Affiliated with the Carolina Assn. at first, the Savannah River Assn. in 1802, the Sunbury Assn. in 1830, this church has been a member of the Baptist Middle Assn. since 1841.
Early officers were: Pastors, John L. Southwell, Isaac Nichols, Wm. Spiers, Wm. W. Lee; Deacons, Thos. Polhill, Wm. Mathers, Benj. Fox, Josiah Fox, James Goldwire, Daniel Dampers, Paul B. Colson; Clerks, David Fox, Thos. Fox, Henry W. Williams.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1793.
Location. 32° 36.044′ N, 81° 29.115′ W. Marker is in Newington, Georgia, in Screven County. Marker is at the intersection of Newington Highway (State Highway 24) and Church Road, on the right when traveling west on Newington Highway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11572 Newington Hwy, Newington GA 30446, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. British Headquarters (approx. 1.3 miles away); Middle Ground Baptist Church (approx. 3.7 miles away); The Confederate Line (approx. 6.1 miles away); Little Ogeechee Church (approx. 6.3 miles away); Washington Slept Here (approx. 8.3 miles away); Sherman's Advance (approx. 10 miles away); Old Mount Pleasant (approx. 10.2 miles away); Lawtonville Church (approx. 10.9 miles away in South Carolina).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 24, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,590 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 24, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.