Pendleton in Madison County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Town of Pendleton
Postal records indicate, that the earliest mail delivery was carried by horse back in 1824, this station was known as Madison Court House. Later, with the completion of what is now known as State Road 38 mail delivery was made at regular intervals by stage coach. By 1850, the Indianapolis & Bellefontaine Railroad was brought through the heart of Pendleton and transported the mail to and from Pendleton for the next 115 years.
Leonard Bardwell, the first Postmaster was appointed on October 31, 1826, at which time the name was changed from Madison Court House to the Pendleton Post Office.
Local delivery was established in Pendleton in 1926; Kenneth Lukens was employed as the first letter carrier.
The Post Office was a construction project of President Roosevelt's "New Deal". During the spring of 1936, a low bid of $44,521 was submitted to the U.S. Treasury Department. Work on this Public Works project was started in July of 1936 and completed in April of 1937. The estimated total cost including site preparations and furnishings was $65,000.
On February 15, 1939, William
1966, saw a major remodeling and additions to Post Office at cost of $185,886.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Communications • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Postal Mail and Philately 📭, and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects series lists.
Location. 40° 0.142′ N, 85° 44.828′ W. Marker is in Pendleton, Indiana, in Madison County. Marker is at the intersection of West State Street and South Main Street, on the left when traveling west on West State Street. Marker is located beside the sidewalk, near the northwest corner of the Pendleton Post Office building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 137 West State Street, Pendleton IN 46064, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. History (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pendleton Town Hall Explosion (about 500 feet away); Falls ParkThe Falls (approx. 0.3 miles away); Abolitionists Mobbed (approx. 0.3 miles away); Indians Murdered 1824 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Carnegie Library (approx. 0.4 miles away); Three White Men Were Hung Here (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pendleton.
Also see . . . Loggers. The Public Works of Art Project (PWAP) was a program to employ artists as part of the New Deal during the Great Depression. The “Loggers” mural, measuring 12 feet wide and 5 feet tall and painted by William F. Kaeser. He submitted four sketches to Washington, three of which were approved, with them favoring “Loggers.” Logging was an important industry in the history of Indiana. It is oil on canvas and was completed in 1941. (Submitted on January 7, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 7, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 7, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.