Moulton in Lavaca County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. Joseph’s Catholic Church
One of the oldest communities in Lavaca County, the town of Moulton was originally located about two miles from the current townsite. When the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad completed a line through the area in 1887, the population shifted to the new location. Many German and Czech immigrants moved here and established family farms.
When Moulton residents expressed a desire for a Catholic parish here, the Rev. John Forest of Hallettsville established St. Joseph's Church. A small frame sanctuary was built in 1888. Initially a mission of the Hallettsville Church, St. Joseph's became an independent parish in 1892.
A parish school, operated by the Sisters of Divine Providence, was built in 1894. Destroyed by fire in 1902, it was replaced by a second facility. As the church continued to grow, additional buildings were erected on the property. Beginning in 1921, the Rev. Joseph Kopp (1879-1961) led the parish through thirty-eight years of growth and service. After seventy-one years of instruction, the parish school closed in 1965. Throughout its history, St. Joseph's Parish has been an important part of the Moulton community.
Erected 1988 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5047.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 29° 34.765′ N, 97° 8.944′ W. Marker is in Moulton, Texas, in Lavaca County. Marker is at the intersection of North Pecan Street and Church Street, on the left when traveling north on North Pecan Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 601 North Pecan Street, Moulton TX 77975, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sam and Will Moore Institute (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sam and Will Moore Institute Bell (about 500 feet away); Dr. Hugo J. Strieder (approx. 0.2 miles away); Zion Lutheran Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of the Camp of the Texas Army (approx. 0.3 miles away); Moulton (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Boehm Store (approx. 0.4 miles away); Adolph Hofner (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moulton.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 8, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 7, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 8, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.