In Memory of Hugh Glass
Perkins County Old-Timers’ Ass’n in 1939
In Memory of
Hunter with Ashley’s Fur Traders, mauled by a grizzly bear while camping at the forks of Grand River north of Bison in 1823. Left for dead, he survived, crawled south between present towns of Bison and Meadow, hiding from Indians by day, to Fort Kiowa 150 miles away.
Dr. John Neihart tells the tale in
“The Song of Hugh Glass.”
Erected 1939 by Perkins County Old-Timers Assn., Bison Commercial Club.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Animals • Native Americans.
Location. 45° 31.423′ N, 102° 27.799′ W. Marker is in Bison, South Dakota, in Perkins County. Marker is at the intersection of East Carr Street and First Avenue East, on the left when traveling east on East Carr Street. Located in front of the Bison High School. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 E Carr St, Bison SD 57620, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Also see . . . Wikipedia article on Hugh Glass. (Submitted on January 8, 2021.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 8, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 8, 2021, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 43 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 8, 2021, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. 4. submitted on January 8, 2021. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.