Moulton in Lavaca County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Moore Hotel
William J. and Mary O'Daniel Moore moved to Texas from Alabama with their family in 1845, and settled in Lavaca County in 1853 on 500 acres. Moore was a farmer and raised livestock. Their son Samuel B. Moore also became a farmer and rancher.
In the 1860s, Samuel and his brother William Moore bought 12,000 acres of land now lying between the towns of Moulton and Shiner. The Moore brothers granted right-of-way out of their land to the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad in 1887. A townsite was platted, and the new town of Moulton was established.
The Moore Hotel was built in 1888 to accommodate travelers. Constructed here east of the railroad depot, the 32-room hotel included a large room built for traveling salesmen to display their wares. The dining room and parlor in the hotel became a gathering place and the social center of the area.
The Moore Hotel was sold to Christian Kotzbue in 1890. He added 10 more guest rooms and a wine cellar. The hotel was operated by the Kotzbue family for several decades, but gradually went out of business and was razed in 1940. A grocery store built in its place was converted into
Erected 1996 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4837.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 29° 34.495′ N, 97° 8.638′ W. Marker is in Moulton, Texas, in Lavaca County. Marker is at the intersection of East Moore Avenue and North Depot Street (Farm to Market Road 532), on the right when traveling west on East Moore Avenue. The marker is located in front of a local Steakhouse Restaurant. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 East Moore Street, Moulton TX 77975, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Adolph Hofner (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Boehm Store (about 600 feet away); Moulton Masonic Lodge (approx. 0.2 miles away); Moulton (approx. 0.2 miles away); Zion Lutheran Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of the Camp of the Texas Army (approx. 0.3 miles away); Sam and Will Moore Institute Bell (approx. 0.3 miles away); Sam and Will Moore Institute (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moulton.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 8, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 9, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.