Moulton in Lavaca County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Founded (about 2 mi NW) in early 1850s. Moved to this site after 1887 when the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad extended its line from Yoakum to Waco, placing a station at this point. Sam and Will Moore, brothers, took lead in building an outstanding school here in 1901. Town remains an agricultural and shipping center.
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3485.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1887.
Location. 29° 34.666′ N, 97° 8.601′ W. Marker is in Moulton, Texas, in Lavaca County. Marker is at the intersection of North Lavaca Drive (Farm to Market Road 95) and Nelson Street, on the left when traveling south on North Lavaca Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 304 North Lavaca Drive, Moulton TX 77975, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of the Camp of the Texas Army (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Moore Hotel (approx. Zion Lutheran Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Adolph Hofner (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Boehm Store (approx. ¼ mile away); Sam and Will Moore Institute Bell (approx. 0.3 miles away); Sam and Will Moore Institute (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. Joseph’s Catholic Church (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moulton.
Also see . . .
1. San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway. The San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway Company was chartered on August 28, 1884, to connect San Antonio with Aransas Bay, a distance of 135 miles. The capital stock was $1,000,000, and the principal office was in San Antonio. Source: The Handbook of Texas (Submitted on January 9, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
2. Moulton Texas. It was founded in the mid-1850s two miles northwest of its present location. Some sources claim the town was named for a community in either Kentucky or Alabama; others contend that it was named for E. L. Moulton, a pioneer settler; and still others assert that it was named by a traveler who was reminded of his home by the live oak motts prevalent in the Moulton area. Source: The Handbook of Texas (Submitted on January 9, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 8, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 9, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.