Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Moulton in Lavaca County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Cotton Grove Dance Floor & Store

 
 
Cotton Grove Dance Floor & Store Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, January 2, 2021
1. Cotton Grove Dance Floor & Store Marker
Inscription.  

Following World War II, hundreds of soldiers came home from the battlefield to the rural areas of Lavaca County. The returning veterans needed a place to gather, socialize and enjoy their victory. Soldiers and their dates came to the Cotton Grove dance floor to dance and mingle. Most of the youth were first or second generation descendants of German and Czech immigrants. They were still attracted to their ancestors’ music and because of this, local bands such as the Hi Toppers would play polkas and waltzes and sing in their native languages. Cotton Grove dance floor was started by Alfons and Martha Pavlicek in 1946 and flourished for eight years as a social, musical and cultural center for the surrounding area.

The dance floor had a white picket fence enclosing it as well as a ticket booth, restrooms and a wooden band stand. Colored lights were hung on tall poles and strung across the dance floor and roof lines of nearby buildings. In 1948, Mr. Pavlicek built a small store next to the dance floor and erected an additional building to serve as a bar. Cotton Grove also doubled as a major site for wedding receptions for couples
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
who wished to return to the place they first met, on the dance floor. Because of the opening of a few air-conditioned indoor halls and a widespread outbreak of polio in the area, attendance went down, and the dance floor was closed. Cotton Grove still lives on as a pleasant memory for thousands of citizens and stands as a unique symbol of a simpler and more innocent time when it reigned as the social, musical and cultural heart of Northwestern Lavaca County in the post-World War II era.
 
Erected 2014 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17826.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EntertainmentIndustry & CommerceWar, World II. A significant historical year for this entry is 1946.
 
Location. 29° 33.936′ N, 97° 5.944′ W. Marker is near Moulton, Texas, in Lavaca County. Marker is at the intersection of County Highway 265 and Farm to Market Road 532, on the left when traveling south on County Highway 265. The marker is located at the intersection of FM 532 and County Road 265 facing toward 265. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Moulton TX 77975, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Moulton’s World War II Observation Tower (approx. 1.7 miles away); St. Paul's African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church (approx. 2˝ miles away); Site of Moore Hotel
Cotton Grove Dance Floor & Store Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, January 2, 2021
2. Cotton Grove Dance Floor & Store Marker
(approx. 2.8 miles away); Moulton (approx. 2.8 miles away); Site of the Camp of the Texas Army (approx. 2.8 miles away); Moulton Masonic Lodge (approx. 2.8 miles away); Adolph Hofner (approx. 2.8 miles away); Old Boehm Store (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moulton.
 
A view of the intersection with the marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, January 2, 2021
3. A view of the intersection with the marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 9, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 334 times since then and 91 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 9, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=164267

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 14, 2024