Near Moulton in Lavaca County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Komensky School
Citizens of the Czech/German Woods Prairie settlement created a fund and hired a carpenter in 1895 to build a community school. By fall 1895 a one-room schoolhouse, named for 17th century Czech (Moravian) educator and religious leader Jan Amos Komensky, was built here on land owned by Emanuel Breitschoff.
Student enrollment reached 107 in 1900 and in 1901 the school was enlarged. A teacherage was erected in 1903 and in 1910 a special tax was established for the Komensky School District. Two sixth grade graduates were recognized in 1913 in the school's first public graduation ceremony. The community proudly dedicated the opening of an impressive new school here in 1914. A Parents-Teachers Association was organized in 1928.
Higher grades were added over the years and by 1940 Komensky School offered 12 grades of instruction and competitive athletic programs. Eight former Komensky school students lost their lives while on active duty in World War I & II.
Although the school had dropped grades 10-12 by 1955 a new school building was erected. By 1958 Komensky School offered only eight grades and in 1966, after 71 years
Sesquicentennial of Texas Statehood 1845-1995
Erected 1995 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4820.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 29° 34.446′ N, 97° 2.788′ W. Marker is near Moulton, Texas, in Lavaca County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 1295 0.2 miles north of Farm to Market Road 532, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Moulton TX 77975, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cotton Grove Dance Floor & Store (approx. 3.2 miles away); SPJST Moravia Cemetery (approx. 3.7 miles away); Site of Moravia School (approx. 3.8 miles away); Moravia General Store (approx. 3.9 miles away); Moulton’s World War II Observation Tower (approx. 4.9 miles away); St. Paul's African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church (approx. 5.7 miles away); Moulton (approx. 5.8 miles away); Site of the Camp of the Texas Army (approx. 5.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moulton.
Also see . . . John Amos (Comenius) Komensky. He introduced a number of educational concepts and innovations including pictorial textbooks (Submitted on January 9, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 9, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 9, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.