Near Moravia in Lavaca County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Moravia School
Many Czech and German immigrants settled in this area of South Texas in the 1870s. Moravia was a Czech farming community that included homes, a Catholic church, businesses, and a school.
The first school in the Moravia community was a one-room structure located about one mile northwest of this site. Students attended classes on a tuition basis. The one-room schoolhouse was destroyed by fire in 1878, and students temporarily attended school in a former store building (about 1 Mi. N).
Land at this site was acquired in 1885. Moravia School, a two-story schoolhouse with two classrooms, was erected in 1887. Classes were conducted primarily in the Czech language until 1895.
Additional land acquisitions in 1908 and 1922 enlarged the school property, and in 1923 materials from the 1887 structure were used in the construction of a larger school facility with four classrooms.
Serving students from a large rural area, the Moravia School continued to grow as other rural schools declined. Students participated in scholastic, literary, and athletic activities. The Moravia School was closed following the 1971-72 school
Erected 1989 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4838.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 29° 35.131′ N, 96° 59.103′ W. Marker is near Moravia, Texas, in Lavaca County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 957 half a mile south of County Highway 247, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Moulton TX 77975, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. SPJST Moravia Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Moravia General Store (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Komensky School (approx. 3.8 miles away); Bermuda Valley Farm (approx. 6.8 miles away); Cotton Grove Dance Floor & Store (approx. 7 miles away); Site of Former Town of Lyons (approx. 7.1 miles away); St. James Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 7˝ miles away); Turner Hall (approx. 7.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moravia.
Also see . . . Moravia, TX. Moravia is at the intersection of Farm roads 957 and 532 in Lavaca County. In this Catholic community of Czechs, Germans, and Anglos, the Czech-Moravian group was the largest during the 1980s. Most of the Moravians speak both Czech and English; in the early 1980s a few still spoke only a Moravian dialect. Source: The Handbook of Texas (Submitted on January 9, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 9, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 43 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 9, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.