Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Henrico in Henrico County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

First Park Headquarters

 
 
First Park Headquarters Marker image. Click for full size.
By Shawn Oliver, July 1, 2015
1. First Park Headquarters Marker
Inscription.  This 1930s photograph shows the headquarters for the Richmond Battlefields Park Corporation. That private organization, composed of Richmond citizens, made the first effort to preserve Civil War battlefields around the city. In 1927 they purchased Fort Harrison. The Corporation donated the fort and hundreds of other acres of local battlefield land to become the first state park in Virginia. Congress established Richmond National Battlefield Park in 1936. This log cabin served as the park's visitor center and headquarters until 1959. It was renovated in 2007 for use as a seasonal visitor center.
 
Erected by Richmond National Battlefield Park, National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: MilitaryWar, US Civil.
 
Location. 37° 25.674′ N, 77° 22.359′ W. Marker is near Henrico, Virginia, in Henrico County. Marker can be reached from Battlefield Park Road 0.2 miles south of Picnic Road. Marker is located on the grounds of the Fort Harrison
Fort Harrison Visitor Center image. Click for full size.
By Shawn Oliver, July 1, 2015
2. Fort Harrison Visitor Center
As said by the marker, the visitor center is only open seasonally. In 2015, the center will be open from Memorial Day to Labour Day, Wednesady to Sunday, 9:00 am to 4:30 pm
Visitor Center, (building described by the marker) which is near the entrance to Fort Harrison. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8621 Battlefield Park Road, Henrico VA 23231, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named First Park Headquarters (here, next to this marker); Freedom Fighters (a few steps from this marker); Fort Harrison Trail (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Fort Harrison Trail (a few steps from this marker); Confederate Counterattack (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Harrison (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fort Harrison (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Unique Photograph (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Henrico.
 
More about this marker. This marker replaced an older one at this location titled, "First Park Headquarters"
 
Also see . . .  Richmond National Battlefield Park. (Submitted on July 6, 2015.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 2, 2015, by Shane Oliver of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 204 times since then and 7 times this year. Last updated on January 9, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 2, 2015, by Shane Oliver of Richmond, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 3, 2021