Titusville in Brevard County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Brevard County Courthouse
— Vassar B. Carlton —
This historic public building was erected to house the seat of Brevard County government. The first courthouse was a two-story wooden structure built in 1882 on this site, a parcel donated by Col. Henry Titus, founder of Titusville. The town was chosen as county seat in a vote held after this area was joined to Brevard in 1879.
In 1912, County Commissioners made a controversial decision to construct a new courthouse building instead of expanding the 1882 structure. The four large colonial columns mark the original entrance to the two-story concrete building. There were two piazzas at the north and south entrances to a central interior corridor. Commissioners and other county officials occupied the first floor. The court, jury rooms, and judge’s chamber were upstairs. The new courthouse opened for public business March 3, 1913 and continues to serve the citizens of Brevard today.
Erected by Brevard County Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1913.
Location. 28° 36.601′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 506 S Palm Ave, Titusville FL 32796, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Historic Brevard County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); North Brevard County Veterans Honor Roll (a few steps from this marker); Brevard County World War I Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Brevard County Clerk of the Circuit Court & Records Building (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Gabriel's Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); LR91-3 Engine (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); RL-10 Engine (about 300 feet away); The Pritchard House (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Titusville.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 9, 2021, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 53 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 9, 2021, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.