Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Village of Chester in Orange County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Denton Grist Mill

 
 
Denton Grist Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Leslie Smith, March 3, 2002
1. Denton Grist Mill Marker
Inscription.  
Otterkill
On this stream the first grist mill was operated before 1785, owned by Jonas Denton and run by his son, Thomas Denton
 
Erected 1935 by State Education Department.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceWaterways & Vessels.
 
Location. 41° 21.721′ N, 74° 17.16′ W. Marker is in Village of Chester, New York, in Orange County. Marker is on Brookside Avenue (New York State Route 17M) half a mile from Academy Avenue (New York State Route 94), on the left. At back edge of parking lot. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 119 Brookside Ave, Chester NY 10918, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Post Office in Chester (approx. 0.4 miles away); Welcome to Chester (approx. half a mile away); Artillery Encampment 1779 (approx. half a mile away); Revolutionary Militia of Orange and Ulster (approx. half a mile away); Korean and Viet Nam Wars Monument (approx. half a mile away); World War I Monument & Chester Bicentennial Commission Time Capsule
Denton Grist Mill Marker behind parking lot fence on left. image. Click for full size.
By Clifton Patrick, September 13, 2009
2. Denton Grist Mill Marker behind parking lot fence on left.
(approx. half a mile away); Hambletonian Monument (approx. 0.6 miles away); Wawayanda Patent (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Village of Chester.
 
Ruins of Denton grist mill image. Click for full size.
By Clifton Patrick, October 3, 2003
3. Ruins of Denton grist mill
Chester Mills (F.B. Seely) demolished in the 1920s by W.A. Lawrence. Some stone work for the mill and the penstock piers remain. Two piers buried during Castle Fun Center construction, 2007.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 13, 2009, by Clifton Patrick of Chester, NY, United States. This page has been viewed 748 times since then and 8 times this year. Last updated on January 10, 2021, by Clifton Patrick of Chester, NY, United States. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 13, 2009, by Clifton Patrick of Chester, NY, United States. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 7, 2021