Castell in Llano County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Castell Community 1847
Ludwig Schneider and Heinrich Vasterling came from Germany and settled on the north side of the Llano River in 1847. Here Ludwig built the first known log home in Llano county.
In 1872 the first U.S. Post Office was opened on the north side of the Llano river with Christian Schneider Sr. as U.S. Postmaster, and Charles Lehmberg later operated the first store and post office on the south side of the river. The town of Castell moved several times before locating at its present site.
As pioneers established their homesteads, the community grew, churches, schools, and blacksmith shops were built, and later two doctors and a dentist arrived. The first cotton gin in the county was built along with other general stores, a hotel, a saloon, and telephone office.
Numerous dedicated families built this German community out of an Indian frontier wilderness, and many of their names are still prevalent in the Castell community today,
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1847.
Location. 30° 42.065′ N, 98° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Castell TX 76831, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Texas Ranger Memorial (here, next to this marker); Castell Veterans Memorial (here, next to this marker); Trinity United Methodist Church Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); German Settlements (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Known Religious Services in Mason County (approx. 0.7 miles away); Homesite of John O. Meusebach, 1812-1897 (approx. 8.8 miles away); Herman and Willie Lehmann (approx. 9.1 miles away); Kothmann Homesite and Cemetery (approx. 9.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Castell.
Also see . . . Castell Texas. Castell is at the intersection of Farm roads 2768 and 152, on the south bank of the Llano River in extreme western Llano County. Castell was established in 1847 on the north side of the Llano River by German immigrants under the auspices of the Adelsverein. Source: The Handbook of Texas (Submitted on January 10, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 10, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 191 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 10, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.