Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Judson in Gregg County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Sherman Chapel Missionary Baptist Church

 
 
Sherman Chapel Missionary Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, May 6, 2020
1. Sherman Chapel Missionary Baptist Church Marker
Inscription.  Following emancipation, many African American congregations were founded in east Texas in the 1870s, asfreedmen, they wanted their own places to worship in their own communities. Established in the Judson community in 1870, Sherman chapel missionary Baptist church was organized with support from reverend Daniel Sherman. In the early years, the church building was shared with the Pleasant Hill Colored Methodist Episcopal Church (later named Christian Methodist Episcopal Church) until each congregation could construct a sanctuary.

The first location was on Freedmen's Ridge near Omega in northeastern Gregg County, a community formed after the Civil War for emancipated slaves. In the early 1940s, Sherman Chapel congregation briefly relocated to a site one-quarter mile north of here to a place known as "in the pines.” After a fire destroyed the building in 1945-46, the church congregation began to search for a new home. In 1947, land was purchased on State Highway 26 which was later renamed Highway 259, and construction of a sanctuary began.

The church commemorated the building's completion on March 9, 1952, when they began their

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
annual church anniversary celebration. In the 1980s, the sanctuary was rebuilt on the same lot due to the widening of the highway. For more than a century, Sherman Chapel Missionary Baptist Church members have nurtured, educated and fostered spiritual growth in the community with leadership and support. Throughout the decades and sometimes jarring changes, the congregation has remained a spiritual beacon for the families of the area.
 
Erected 2015 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18258.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & ReligionWar, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is March 9, 1952.
 
Location. 32° 37.061′ N, 94° 45.569′ W. Marker is in Judson, Texas, in Gregg County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 259 and Farm to Market Road 449, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 259. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7967 US-259, Longview TX 75605, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rockwall Farm (approx. 7.8 miles away); Site of Earpville (approx. 8.2 miles away); Longview (approx. 8.2 miles away); Gregg County (approx. 8.2 miles away); Johnny Cace's Seafood and Steak House
Sherman Chapel Missionary Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, May 6, 2020
2. Sherman Chapel Missionary Baptist Church Marker
(approx. 8.2 miles away); F. L. Whaley House (approx. 8.4 miles away); First Methodist Church of Longview (approx. 8.4 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Longview (approx. 8.4 miles away).
 
Sherman Chapel Missionary Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, May 6, 2020
3. Sherman Chapel Missionary Baptist Church Marker
Sherman Chapel Missionary Baptist Church Cornerstone image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, May 6, 2020
4. Sherman Chapel Missionary Baptist Church Cornerstone
Sherman Chapel Missionary Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, May 6, 2020
5. Sherman Chapel Missionary Baptist Church Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 11, 2021, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 239 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 11, 2021, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=164456

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2024