Mercedes in Hidalgo County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
El Horcon Tract and Rio Rico
The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo which ended the Mexican War (1846-48) designated the main channel of the Rio Grande as the Mexico-U.S. boundary. Disputes arising from frequent changes in the river's course led to the Treaty of 1884 which recognized only those river diversions resulting from natural occurences. The International Boundary Commission was established in 1889 to administer the Treaty of 1884. In 1906 the American Rio Grande Land and Irrigation Company dug an unauthorized canal about two miles south of here which altered the natural course of the Rio Grande. As a result, a 419-acre section of U.S. property called El Horcon tract was isolated south of the river. Although still U.S. territory according to the Treaty of 1884, the tract and the popular gambling and resort community of Rio Rico which flourished there during the 1920s and 1930s became increasingly subject to Mexican administration and jurisdiction.
After the U.S. granted Mexico territorial rights over El Horcon tract and Rio Rico in 1970, a native of Rio Rico sued the U.S. government to guarantee his U.S. citizenship. This lawsuit began an eight-year legal
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1421.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, Mexican-American.
Location. 26° 5.048′ N, 97° 53.445′ W. Marker is in Mercedes, Texas, in Hidalgo County. Marker is on Military Highway (U.S. 281), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mercedes TX 78570, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Relampago Ranch (approx. 1.8 miles away); Military Highway of the Lower Rio Grande Valley (approx. 1.8 miles away); Ebony Grove Cemetery (approx. 3.1 miles away); Battle of La Bolsa (approx. 3.2 miles away); Our Lady of Visitation (approx. 3.3 miles away); Our Lady of Visitation Catholic Church (approx. 3.3 miles away); Longoria Cemetery (approx. 4.2 miles away); Camp Mercedes (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mercedes.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 11, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 55 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 11, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.