Brenham in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Pickard High School
Esteemed Texas School established about 1875 by Brenham Public School System for Black pupils of elementary through high school levels and called Camptown School. It was renamed East End School and later, in 1936 Pickard High School in honor of A.R. Pickard it's principal for about forty five years becoming a senior high school in 1958, it continued until 1969.
Principals serving here were Paul Bledsoe, Anderson, Sam McCoy, A.R. Pickard Sr., and W.I. Alton, Sr., The Spirit of Pickard High School lives in the hearts of it's thousands of students. (1979)
Erected 1991 by Washington County Lions Club.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education.
Location. 30° 10.059′ N, 96° 23.278′ W. Marker is in Brenham, Texas, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Kerr Street and Mangrum Street, on the left when traveling south on Kerr Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brenham TX 77833, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mount Rose Missionary Baptist Church (within shouting distance of Camptown Cemetery (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Brenham Fire Department (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ross-Carroll House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Masonic Academy (approx. half a mile away); Giddings Wilkin House Museum 1843 (approx. half a mile away); Giddings-Wilkin House (approx. half a mile away); Site of Old St. Anthony Hotel (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brenham.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 12, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 12, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.