Raymondville State Bank
Attorney and banker Charles Henry Pease (1873- 1933) came to the Rio Grande Valley from Michigan in 1907. With the help of local businessmen he organized the Raymondville State Bank, which opened on March 5, 1907.
The first directors of the bank were E. B. Raymond, James B. Wells Jr., Robert J. Kleberg, William F. Sprague, William Kelly, Marcus Phillips, Charles H. Flato, Jr., S. L. Dworman, B. J. Frazier, and Ch. Pease. Raymond was named president.
The bank was first located at the Raymondville Lumber Company the lumber company safe was used as a vault and a pine shelf with a wooden grill served as the first teller window.
Charles H. Pease became president of the bank upon the death of E. B. Raymond in 1914 and served until 1923. During his term as president the bank moved into a new brick structure.
From its beginning as a small bank with total
deposits of $10,000, the Raymondville State Bank
has grown to become an important area business.
It is the oldest banking institution in the lower Rio
Grande Valley area comprised of Willagy, Cameron,
Hidalgo, and Starr Counties.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 26° 28.952′ N, 97° 47.143′ W. Marker is in Raymondville, Texas, in Willacy County. Marker is at the intersection of North 5th Street and West Main Avenue, on the left when traveling north on North 5th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Raymondville TX 78580, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Santa Maria de Yciar, San Esteban, Espiritu Santu (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Alejandro G. Trevino (about 500 feet away); Willacy County (about 500 feet away); Willacy County Courthouse (about 500 feet away); Willacy County War Memorial (about 600 feet away).
Credits. This page was last revised on January 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 12, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 26 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 12, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.