Allen in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Corinth Presbyterian Church
Pioneer settler C.A. McMillen established the Corinth Society Church of August 2, 1846. Thought to be the oldest continuing church congregation in Collin County, its charter members included the Murphy, Wilkins, and Maxwell families. The church served as both a Presbyterian and a community church.
The congregation first met east of Murphy in the Maxwell schoolhouse. After the Civil War, the church members met in the McMillen home, and later at the Wilkins schoolhouse. Several years later, the congregation constructed its first church building at the corner of Grey Lane and Gregory Lane.
In the early 1920s Mr. and Mrs. C.C. Gregory donated more than two acres on Parker Road to the church. A new sanctuary was completed in 1923, and the congregation commemorated its dedication with day-long events at the new structure. The church building was refurbished in the 1980s, and a bell steeple was added.
The church continues to serve the needs of its members, participates in community activities, and supports outreach programs in the area. Corinth Presbyterian Church has been an integral part of the Parker area for more
Erected 1996 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1061.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 33° 3.337′ N, 96° 37.342′ W. Marker is in Allen, Texas, in Collin County. Marker is at the intersection of East Parker Road and Church Lane, on the right when traveling west on East Parker Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Allen TX 75002, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Baptist Church of Murphy (approx. 1.9 miles away); Allen Cemetery (approx. 4 miles away); Charles C. Stibbens (approx. 4˝ miles away); Stone Dam at Allen Station (approx. 4.9 miles away); Mathews General Store (approx. 5.2 miles away); Plano National Bank / I.O.O.F. Lodge Building (approx. 5.2 miles away); Texas Electric Railway Station (approx. 5.2 miles away); Plano High School and Gymnasium (approx. 5.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Allen.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 13, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 27 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 13, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.