Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Wylie in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Brown Cottage

 
 
Brown Cottage Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jesse Nelsen, January 12, 2021
1. Brown Cottage Marker
Inscription.  

One of the oldest homes of Wylie, the 1889 Brown Cottage was the first home in Wylie of businessman William Thomas Brown and Martha (Maggie) J. (Housewright) Brown. The Browns moved to Wylie shortly after its establishment in 1886 to help build the community. Brown was one of Wylie’s first developers with the Brown & Burns addition subdivision, filed for record in 1887. In the same year, Brown was voted as one of Wylie’s first aldermen, He also ran a mercantile store that served the Gulf, Colorado, and Santa Fe railroad and area farmers.

In 1903 the Thomas and Mattie Brown Cottage, also known as the Little White House, was moved from its original location on Ballard Avenue to its present location on the northeast corner of West Jefferson and North Jackson Avenue. This was in preparation for building the Browns a larger family home, called the Thomas and Mattie Brown House (designated a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 1992). The Browns lived in the Little White House for 16 years and then moved to the newer family home upon its completion in 1905. The cottage remained in the family until the Browns' deaths, passing to their
Brown Cottage and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jesse Nelsen, January 12, 2021
2. Brown Cottage and Marker
daughter Tennie L. Creel in 1926. When the Creels passed away in 1945, the estate was settled and Paul Pearson took ownership. He owned the cottage for a total of 49 years.

Brown Cottage’s architecture is Folk Victorian with Carpenter Gothic detailing. Some of the features include cypress siding, a bay window, cross gabled roof, and an asymmetrical floor plan. Brown Cottage is one of the most prominent original residences still intact from when the town of Wylie was established in 1886.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2017
Marker is property of the State of Texas

 
Erected 2017 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18600.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & Commerce.
 
Location. 33° 0.984′ N, 96° 32.381′ W. Marker is in Wylie, Texas, in Collin County. Marker is at the intersection of Jefferson Street and North Jackson Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Jefferson Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wylie TX 75098, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Thomas and Mattie Brown House (within shouting distance of this marker); First Baptist Church of Wylie (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wylie (approx. ¼ mile away); Charles C. Stibbens
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. 2.4 miles away); William Sachse Cemetery (approx. 4.1 miles away); The Sachse Caboose (approx. 4.2 miles away); Sachse (approx. 4.2 miles away); First Baptist Church of Murphy (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wylie.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 13, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 13, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jan. 22, 2021