Wylie in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Located in south central Collin County, Wylie and Nickelville began as settlements on the west side of the east fork of the Trinity River. Pioneers began arriving in the area in the early 1850s, attracted by the plentiful water supply from the river, the productive soil of the Blackland Prairie and the offer of land grants by the Peters Colony. By 1883, a post office named Nickelville opened next to a drug store and, by 1885, there were three churches, the post office, a hotel and the Nickelville school. The town moved to a new location in 1886 when the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe railroad company tracks were constructed just a half a mile north of Nickelville. That June, the name changed to Wylie in honor of colonel W.D. Wylie, the railroad right-of-way agent.
The town quickly began to grow with new businesses and a steady flow of railroad employees. In 1887, the town incorporated and elected the first mayor, John Howard Picket from Nickelville. The next year, the St. Louis and southwestern railroad began construction in Wylie. Both railroads drastically changed the economy and landscape of the area, increasing agricultural production
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2013 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17547.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 33° 0.771′ N, 96° 32.366′ W. Marker is in Wylie, Texas, in Collin County. Marker is at the intersection of South Ballard Avenue and Highway 78, on the right when traveling south on South Ballard Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wylie TX 75098, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Baptist Church of Wylie (approx. 0.2 miles away); Brown Cottage (approx. ¼ mile away); Thomas and Mattie Brown House (approx. ¼ mile away); Charles C. Stibbens (approx. 2.7 miles away); William Sachse Cemetery (approx. 3.9 miles away); Sachse (approx. 4.1 miles away); The Sachse Caboose (approx. 4.1 miles away); First Baptist Church of Murphy (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wylie.
Regarding Wylie. The Texas Historical Commission atlas (https://atlas.thc.texas.gov/) calls this marker "City of Wylie".
Credits. This page was last revised on January 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 13, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 13, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.