Morgantown in Monongalia County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Woodburn Circle, comprised of Martin Hall, Woodburn Hall, and Chitwood Hall, is the historic center of West Virginia University. The name Woodburn was selected by Reverend John R. Moore, principal of the Monongalia Academy and later superintendent of the Woodburn Female Seminary. Woodburn, meaning "a streamlet in a shady glen," described the grove of beech trees and the Falling Run stream which once bordered the area.
Martin Hall, completed in 1870, was first called University Hall, then named Preparatory Hall in 1876 before becoming Martin Hall in 1899 in honor of WVU's first president, Alexander Martin. The interior of the building was renovated in the mid-1970s; the exterior was restored in 1993.
Woodburn Hall was completed in 1876 on the site of the Woodburn Seminary. It was first called New Hall, then University Hall in 1878, becoming Woodburn Hall in 1902. The north wing was added in 1900, the south wing in 1911. A Seth Thomas clock was placed in the center tower in 1911. The interior of the building was renovated in 1979; the exterior restoration was completed in 1993.
Chitwood Hall was completed
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1870.
Location. 39° 38.17′ N, 79° 57.291′ W. Marker is in Morgantown, West Virginia, in Monongalia County. Marker can be reached from University Avenue north of College Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Morgantown WV 26501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Perley Isaac Reed School of Journalism (here, next to this marker); Eberly College of Arts and Sciences (here, next to this marker); Chitwood Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Women's Centenary (within shouting distance of this marker); Woodburn Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Martin Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Mast of the Battleship West Virginia (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bell of the Armored Cruiser U.S.S. West Virginia (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Morgantown.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 25, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 95 times since then and 11 times this year. Last updated on January 13, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 25, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.