McKinney in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Murphy
In 1900, twelve years after the founding of Murphy, local resident Mrs. May Cockrell directed the formation of this congregation. Aware of the need for a Baptist church in the community, she hosted the organizational meeting in her home. Present were many of her friends, including the Rev. G.W. McCall, a Baptist preacher from Plano, and Bob Coleman of the Plano Star-Courier. The same year Mrs. Louisa Brown donated land at this site for construction of the sanctuary. Since 1900 the congregation has made many significant contributions to the community.
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1659.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 33° 1.769′ N, 96° 36.703′ W. Marker is in McKinney, Texas, in Collin County. Marker is on North Murphy Road north of Windsor Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Plano TX 75094, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Corinth Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.9 miles William Sachse Cemetery (approx. 3.7 miles away); The Sachse Caboose (approx. 3.8 miles away); Sachse (approx. 4 miles away); Charles C. Stibbens (approx. 4.2 miles away); Brown Cottage (approx. 4.3 miles away); Thomas and Mattie Brown House (approx. 4.3 miles away); Wylie (approx. 4.3 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on January 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 14, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 30 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 14, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.