Wylie in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Wylie
This congregation has its origins in the Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church of Nickleville, which met in private homes prior to 1870. After the town became a part of the new community of Wylie about 1887, the church became known as the Missionary Baptist Church of Wylie. Members purchased land at the present site in 1905 and constructed a sanctuary. Continued growth led to the calling of a full-time pastor in 1914 and the expansion of the facilities for new programs. Known as first Baptist Church of Wylie since 1942, the congregation has upheld its commitment to education, worship and community outreach throughout its history.
Erected 2002 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12880.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 33° 0.906′ N, 96° 32.251′ W. Marker is in Wylie, Texas, in Collin County. Marker is at the intersection of East Marble Street and North 1st Street, on the right when traveling east on East Marble Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wylie TX 75098, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Thomas and Mattie Brown House (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Brown Cottage (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wylie (approx. 0.2 miles away); Charles C. Stibbens (approx. 2.6 miles away); William Sachse Cemetery (approx. 4.1 miles away); Sachse (approx. 4.3 miles away); The Sachse Caboose (approx. 4.3 miles away); First Baptist Church of Murphy (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wylie.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 14, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 14, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.