McKinney in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Built in the 1860s, the structure originally stood across the street from the site. It was sold in 1868 to Armistead Joshua Taylor (1840-1888), a cabinet maker. He married Tabatha Jane Scott, daughter of Collin County pioneer Preston Scott. The tailors operated the house as an in for traveling salesman or drummers. Because overnight lodging was available for 25¢, it was called the Two-Bit Taylor House. Owned by that family until 1933, it was moved here in 1976.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1982
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6211.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 33° 11.672′ N, 96° 36.779′ W. Marker is in McKinney, Texas, in Collin County. Marker can be reached from South McDonald Street north of Anthony Street, on the left when traveling north. The house and marker are in the Chestnut Square Historic Village. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: McKinney TX 75069, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John Faires House (a few steps from this marker); The Dulaney Cottage (within shouting distance of this marker); Dulaney House (within shouting distance of this marker); Collin County Prison (approx. ¼ mile away); 1911 McKinney Post Office (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of Elm Saloon (approx. ¼ mile away); 1927 Collin County Courthouse (approx. ¼ mile away); Crouch-Perkins House (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McKinney.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 14, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 25 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 14, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.