McKinney in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
J.D. Stiff Home
John David Stiff (1853-1909) and his wife Blanche (Duer) (1866-1950) built this residence in 1893, the same year the first of their two children was born. A merchant, stiff owned a dry goods business on the town square. His home features influences of the Queen Anne style. Interesting elements include the paired dormers and the fish scale shingling. Members of the Stiff family owned the house until 1971.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1986
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6205.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1971.
Location. 33° 11.963′ N, 96° 37.229′ W. Marker is in McKinney, Texas, in Collin County. Marker is on West Hunt Street west of North Valley Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 520 W Hunt Street, McKinney TX 75069, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Charles P. and Sallie G. Heard Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Aron-Harris House (within Burton House (within shouting distance of this marker); Fox-Caldwell House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); John S. and Rachel W. Heard House (about 400 feet away); E.A. Newsome House (about 600 feet away); Saint Peter’s Episcopal Church (about 600 feet away); Dr. William Taylor Hoard House (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McKinney.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 14, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 152 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 14, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.