McKinney in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
John Faires House
This home was constructed in 1854 by John Faires (1801-1878), who had come to McKinney from Tennessee three years earlier. Near his home he built a blacksmith shop, where he worked skillfully with metal and wood. The hand chiseled front door of Faires' home reflects his woodworking craftsmanship. The Greek Revival Style House, originally located one block west, remained in the Faires family until 1975.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1984
Erected 1984 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1548.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 33° 11.669′ N, 96° 36.774′ W. Marker is in McKinney, Texas, in Collin County. Marker can be reached from South McDonald Street north of Anthony Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: McKinney TX 75069, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Taylor House (a few steps from this marker); The Dulaney Cottage (within shouting distance of this marker); Dulaney HouseCollin County Prison (approx. ¼ mile away); 1911 McKinney Post Office (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of Elm Saloon (approx. ¼ mile away); Crouch-Perkins House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Heard-Craig House (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McKinney.
More about this marker. The house and marker are in the Chestnut Square Historic Village.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 14, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 30 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 14, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.