McKinney in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Charles P. and Sallie G. Heard Home
This residence was constructed by local merchant and cotton broker Charles P. Heard (d. 1937) and his wife Sallie (Galbreath) (d. 1949), McKinney philanthropists. Designed by architect John Martin, it was completed in 1893. The exterior features details of the Queen Anne and Eastlake styles in the design of the porch and the use of intricate woodwork. Family members continued to live here until the 1970s.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1980
Incise on base: Exterior restored by John O. and Carol E. Finch - 1980
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6163.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 33° 11.961′ N, 96° 37.247′ W. Marker is in McKinney, Texas, in Collin County. Marker is at the intersection of West Hunt Street and North College Street, on the right when traveling west on West Hunt Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: McKinney TX 75069, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Aron-Harris House (within shouting distance J.D. Stiff Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint Peter’s Episcopal Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); L. A. Scott Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dr. William Taylor Hoard House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Barnes-Largent House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Crouch-Perkins House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Waddill-Morris Homesite (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McKinney.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 14, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 31 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 14, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.