McKinney in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Saint Peterís Episcopal Church
Organized in McKinney in 1876, St. Peterís Episcopal church was originally designated a mission by Bishop Alexander Garrett (1832-1924) of the diocese of Dallas. Because the church owned no property, members gathered in offices and private homes for many years under the leadership of priests Edward Wilkins, J. B. Fitzpatrick, and G. B. Gibbs. The Sunday school was organized in 1883, in 1890 the mission was elevated to parish status. Three years later a frame building was erected on this site to house the congregation. Built at a cost of $1,350, the structure was designed in the shape of a cross with an entrance on Lamar Street.
The first full-time priest to serve St. Peterís was the Rev. H. K. Grouse, who served from 1893 to 1895. He was followed by a number of dedicated rectors, both full and part-time, who have been credited with holding the church community together. In 1926, architect C. W. Beagle of Denison patterned a new church building for St. Peterís based on his own design for a Denison Episcopal Church. Cecil Hight, a local contractor, was the builder.
In 1959 and 1960, the church complex suffered three fires;
From its original membership of 35 in 1899, St. Peterís Episcopal church has grown into a large parish, offering a variety of programs to its members and the community.
Erected 1998 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15177.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 33° 12.06′ N, 96° 37.246′ W. Marker is in McKinney, Texas, in Collin County. Marker is at the intersection of North College Street and West Walker Street, on the right when traveling north on North College Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: McKinney TX 75069, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. J.D. Stiff Home (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Charles P. and Sallie G. Heard Home (about 600 feet away); Aron-Harris House (about 700 feet away); Dr. William Taylor Hoard House (about 800 feet away); Davis House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Waddill-Morris Homesite (approx. 0.2 miles away); First United Methodist Church of McKinney (approx. 0.2 miles away); James Calvin Rhea House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McKinney.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 14, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 14, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.