Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Newport in Monroe County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Old Hull Road

 
 
Old Hull Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, February 6, 2010
1. Old Hull Road Marker
Inscription.  General Hull's army hewed out of the wilderness the first Michigan road when it advanced from the River Raisin to Detroit at the beginning of the War of 1812.

In Monroe the original crossing of the river by Hull's Army was at a ford near the present Winchester bridge.

North of Monroe, Hull's road followed an old Indian trail which is now the course of M-56, long known as the Old Dixie, which courses the shore line of Lake Erie and which, northwest of Oldport runs into the Old River Road, thence into Jefferson Avenue, Detroit.

Hull's army engineers were the first to bridge the Huron River in anticipation of the movement to Detroit of men and supplies from Monroe where a quartermaster depot had been established.
 
Erected by Monroe County Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Roads & VehiclesWar of 1812.
 
Location. 42° 0.226′ N, 83° 15.426′ W. Marker is near Newport, Michigan, in Monroe County. Marker is on US Turnpike Road 0.3 miles north of North

Former location of the Old Hull Road Marker. image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, February 6, 2010
2. Former location of the Old Hull Road Marker.
View of historical marker in the right foreground, and of the modern day roadway (the North Dixie Highway) that was built atop of the Old Hull Road).
Dixie Highway, on the right when traveling north. This historical marker has been recently refurbished and relocated. It is now located just in front of Price's Orchard. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8696 US Turnpike Rd, Newport MI 48166, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hull's Trace (approx. 3.6 miles away); State Police Post (approx. 4.7 miles away); War of 1812 Memorial (approx. 6.1 miles away); Battle of Brownstown (approx. 6.1 miles away); Ford Motor Company Lamp Factory (approx. 6.9 miles away); Sandy Creek Settlement (approx. 7.1 miles away); Capt. Norman W. Heck Jr (approx. 7.8 miles away); Monroe County Vietnam Veterans Memorial Tree (approx. 7.8 miles away).
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
 
Also see . . .  Hull's Road. This is a link to information provided by Ohio History Central, an online encyclopedia of Ohio History. (Submitted on September 4, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.) 
 
Former location of the Old Hull Road Marker. image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, February 6, 2010
3. Former location of the Old Hull Road Marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 6, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,673 times since then and 19 times this year. Last updated on January 15, 2021, by Lisa Gessner of Dundee, Michigan. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 6, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of marker at its new location on US Turnpike Rd. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 5, 2021