The Courthouse Bell
This bell was placed in the belltower of the Logan County Courthouse in 1905. It was made by American Bell and Foundry Company of Northville, Michigan and weighs approximately 2000 pounds.
In 1912 the courthouse burned and this same bell was placed in the new courthouse belltower that same year. There it remained to ring out the victories of World War I, World War II, the Korean War, and Wes: Virginia Centennial Celebration in 1963.
In 1963 the courthouse was in dire need of repair and was torn down and replaced
by a modern building. The bell was saved by Sidney W. Ferrell and brought to Chief Logan State Park. The bell is a Logan County landmark and is dedicated to Sidney W. Ferrell and the citizens of Logan County.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Historic Bells 🔔 series list.
Location. 37° 53.583′ N, 82° 0.517′ W. Marker is in Henlawson, West Virginia, in Logan County. Marker is on Little Buffalo
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Logan County Coal Miners Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Aunt Jenny Wilson (a few steps from this marker); Tom "Rose" Tomblin (within shouting distance of this marker); Chesapeake and Ohio Kanawha (within shouting distance of this marker); Chesapeake & Ohio 2755 Steam Locomotive (within shouting distance of this marker); Chief Logan's Speech (within shouting distance of this marker); Logan (approx. 3.4 miles away); Battle of Kanawha Gap (approx. 5.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Henlawson.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 15, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 15, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.