Palmer in Ellis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Christian Church of Palmer
In 1853 disciples in the area around Rockett and Brushy Creek (8 miles northwest) established a church called "Liberty-Sylvania". Members of the congregation were instrumental in the formation of new churches in Corinth, Ferris, Palmer and Waxahachie.
Two members of the church at Rockett, Robert "Uncle Bob" Smith and his wife Lavisa, moved their family to Palmer in 1868. With their help the First Christian Church of Palmer was organized that same year. A one-room schoolhouse served as the first meeting place.
An agreement, signed in 1880 by representatives of the Baptist, Christian, and Cumberland Presbyterian churches of the town, called for the construction of a community church building. Completed later that year on Dallas Street, the Palmer Union Church sanctuary was used by all three congregations. Each church was assigned a specific Sunday of every month for their services.
Members of the First Christian Church constructed their own sanctuary at the intersection of Dallas and Jefferson Streets in 1898. The congregation moved to this site in 1940 when the present brick edifice was completed. The church bell,
Erected 1980 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7103.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 32° 26.032′ N, 96° 40.089′ W. Marker is in Palmer, Texas, in Ellis County. Marker is at the intersection of East Paris Street and North Stacks Street, on the left when traveling west on East Paris Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 East Paris Street, Palmer TX 75152, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Baptist Church of Palmer (approx. 0.3 miles away); Graves Cemetery (approx. 6.3 miles away); Old Lake Dam (approx. 6.7 miles away); Ivan D. Goodwin (approx. 6.7 miles away); City of Ferris (approx. 6.9 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Ferris (approx. 7.1 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Ferris (approx. 7.2 miles away); Moore House (approx. 7˝ miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on January 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 15, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 25 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 16, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.