Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Palmer in Ellis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Baptist Church of Palmer

 
 
First Baptist Church of Palmer Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, January 11, 2021
1. First Baptist Church of Palmer Marker
Inscription.  

The Rev. T.H. Durham preached at the organizational meeting of this Missionary Baptist Church on Nov. 17 1873. Charter members included Lucinda Crawford, Susan and John Nixon, and Elizabeth and James Perkins. Worship services were originally held in the members' homes. By 1891, this Baptist fellowship was sharing a Union Church building with three other denominations. The present frame structure, built in 1900-1901, has been periodically enlarged and modernized. Five persons from this congregation have been ordained into the ministry.
 
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7101.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is October 17, 1873.
 
Location. 32° 25.765′ N, 96° 40.127′ W. Marker is in Palmer, Texas, in Ellis County. Marker is at the intersection of South Sherman Street and West Cooper Street, on the right when traveling south on South Sherman Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 205 Cooper Street, Palmer TX 75152, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
, measured as the crow flies. Harkey-Payne House (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Christian Church of Palmer (approx. 0.3 miles away); Smith Cemetery (approx. 4.2 miles away); Rutherford's Crossing Bridge (approx. 4.4 miles away); Bristol Cemetery (approx. 6.1 miles away); Bristol School (approx. 6.2 miles away); Graves Cemetery (approx. 6.4 miles away); Old Lake Dam (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Palmer.
 
Front entrance to the First Baptist Church of Palmer image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, January 11, 2021
2. Front entrance to the First Baptist Church of Palmer
First Baptist Church of Palmer image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, January 11, 2021
3. First Baptist Church of Palmer
Second Marker on the front of the Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, January 11, 2021
4. Second Marker on the front of the Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 15, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 186 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 16, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=164745

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 21, 2024