Ennis in Ellis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Wayman Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church
Named for African Methodist Episcopal Church Bishop Alexander W. Wayman, this congregation was organized in 1880 by area residents, many of whom moved here from the community of Telico. Dr. C.A. Harris, a physician, served as pastor in the early 1900s. In 1905, under his leadership, the church moved from a site known as Biggins Hill to its current location. Over the years, the church has had a strong impact on its local community. The congregation has served the town through a variety of ways, and continues to support the community.
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13533.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
Location. 32° 19.332′ N, 96° 38.285′ W. Marker is in Ennis, Texas, in Ellis County. Marker is at the intersection of West Ennis Avenue (Business U.S. 287) and Hall Street, on the left when traveling west on West Ennis Avenue. The marker is located in front of the Wayman Chapel on the west Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1013 West Ennis Avenue, Ennis TX 75119, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Myrtle Cemetery (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Frederick Harrison Rankin (approx. ¼ mile away); Jack Lummus (approx. 0.4 miles away); Burnam Square and Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Moore House (approx. 0.6 miles away); LaJuan Schlegel (approx. 0.7 miles away); Minnie McDowal (approx. 0.7 miles away); Ennis City Hall (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ennis.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 17, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 16, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 31 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 16, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.