Ennis in Ellis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Town of Ennis
Founded 1872 as market town on Houston & Texas Central Railway; Named for an H. & T.C. official, Cornelius Ennis (1813-1899).
Cumberland Presbyterian built first church, 1872; First school session opened 1873. Chezchslovaks settled here 1874, adding a new segment to Anglo-French-Mexican-Texans employed in cattle and cotton economy. In 1892 banker Joseph Baldridge and associates secured H. & T.C. division shops for the town. In 1911 St. John's school was established here.
In 20th century, local industry, recreation areas, and municipal services spur continuing growth.
Erected 1972 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 7096.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 32° 19.685′ N, 96° 37.632′ W. Marker is in Ennis, Texas, in Ellis County. Marker is at the intersection of Northwest Main Street (Farm to Market Road 1183) and East Ennis Avenue (Business U.S. 287), on the right when travelingTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ennis TX 75119, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Railroads in Ennis (within shouting distance of this marker); The Southern Pacific Railroad in Ennis (within shouting distance of this marker); Pierce Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Ennis National Bank Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Katie Daffan (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Minnie McDowal (about 500 feet away); LaJuan Schlegel (about 500 feet away); Ennis City Hall (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ennis.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 17, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 16, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 16, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.