Manheim in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Henry William Steigel / Henry M Muhlenberg / Robert Morris
Photographed By William Pope, January 16, 2021
1. Henry William Steigel / Henry M Muhlenberg / Robert Morris Marker
Henry William Steigel, also, Henry M Muhlenberg, also, Robert Morris. .
Henry William Stiegel. Colonial glassmaker and ironmaster built this house and lived in it 1762-1775
Henry M. Muhlenberg. Organized Manheim Lutheran Congregation here on September 18, 1769
Robert Morris. Signer and financier purchased residence and lived in it 1777-1778 . This historical marker was erected in 1947 by The Order of Baron Von Stiegel. It is in Manheim in Lancaster County Pennsylvania
Henry William Stiegel
Colonial glassmaker and ironmaster built this house and lived in it 1762-1775
Henry M. Muhlenberg
Organized Manheim Lutheran Congregation here on September 18, 1769
Signer and financier purchased residence and lived in it 1777-1778
Location. 40° 9.835′ N, 76° 23.706′ W. Marker is in Manheim, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County. Marker is at the intersection of East High Street and North Main Street (Pennsylvania Route 72), on the right when traveling west on East High Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 N Main St, Manheim PA 17545, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Baron Stiegel (a few steps from this marker); Manheim Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this
2. Henry William Steigel / Henry M Muhlenberg / Robert Morris Marker
Photographed By William Pope
3. Same building as Arndt's Dry Goods Emporium
From the Manheim Historical Society -
Arndt’s Dry Goods Emporium, North Prussian (Main) and East High Streets.
About 1763 Baron Henry William Stiegel put up this building as his mansion. In 1779 it was sold at sheriff’s sale to Michael Diffenderfer, later it was sold to William Bausman, and still later to Revolutionary War Financier and the first head of the Treasury of the United States, Robert Morris, acquired it. After him James Jenkins became the owner.
In 1825 the building, still in its original form, was bought by John Arndt, Jr., who had come from Lebanon County, his father being an early Manheim tanner. Arndt started his first store in the building, selling dry goods and groceries. In 1846, Arndt sold to his son, Henry and son-in-law Adam Worley. The new firm of Arndt and Worley lasted until 1857, when a partnership was formed of Worley, Henry C. Boyd and Bomberger, dealers in lumber and general merchandise. In 1859 a new partnership was made of Arndt & Boyd and, possibly about 1872, an extra story was added to the building. In 1875 Boyd withdrew from the partnership and Henry Arndt became sole owner in 1875.
Photo herewith: It is believed the photo below is Henry Arndt, standing at the town pump with his store in the background, circa 1875 to 1880.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2023. It was originally submitted on January 16, 2021, by William Pope of Marietta, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 127 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:1, 2. submitted on January 20, 2021, by William Pope of Marietta, Pennsylvania. 3. submitted on May 17, 2023, by William Pope of Marietta, Pennsylvania. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.