Near Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Revolutionary War soldiers John Beard, Henry W. Davis, John Mayberry, James Potts, and Thomas Prowell established homesteads and reared large families on Lick Creek. By 1811 Hugh Fox, Thomas and Sampson Prowell, and James Thompson had migrated from Burke County, N.C. Other early families to settle here were Beasley, Church, Edwards, Harris, Hay, Parham, Sears, Wakefield, and Warf. By 1831 regular Methodist camp meetings were held nearby. On April 29, 1909, the church, a school, Thompson's store, and much timber were destroyed by a cyclone. The present church was built in 1924 and the school, which closed in 1954, was built in 1929. White Oak Post Office served the area from 1876 until 1907.
Erected 1998 by Greenbrier Community Club and Williamson County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary.
Location. 35° 50.713′ N, 87° 8.488′ W. Marker is near Franklin, Tennessee, in Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5964 Greenbriar Hill Road, Franklin TN 37064, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Flagpole Campground / Pinewood Road (approx. 3 miles away); Bending Chestnut (approx. 3.1 miles away); Richard "Dick" Poyner (approx. 4.2 miles away); Tennessee Valley Divide (approx. 4.2 miles away); Garrison (approx. 5.3 miles away); U.S.D. 1812 (approx. 5.4 miles away); Boston (approx. 5.8 miles away); Dr. George B. Hunter Farm / Along Leiper's Fork (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 16, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. This page has been viewed 55 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 16, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.