Ennis in Ellis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Southern Pacific Railroad in Ennis
In 1887 the City of Ennis was established at this site, the northern terminus of the Houston and Texas Central Railroad (later part of the Southern Pacific Railroad). The city is named after early railroad official Cornelius Ennis. Expansion by the railroad at this location in 1891 spurred decades of agricultural, commercial, and industrial growth. Completion of lakes for the railroad's use and the construction of shops, a roundhouse, and offices earned Ennis renown as the junction of railroads and cotton fields. The lakes and several railroad buildings remain.
Erected 1992 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7151.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 32° 19.71′ N, 96° 37.611′ W. Marker is in Ennis, Texas, in Ellis County. Marker is at the intersection of Northeast Main Street and East Ennis Avenue (Business Highway 287), on the left when traveling north on Northeast Main Street. The marker is located at the front of the Ennis Railroad Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Northeast Main Street, Ennis TX 75119, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Railroads in Ennis (within shouting distance of this marker); Town of Ennis (within shouting distance of this marker); Pierce Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Katie Daffan (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ennis National Bank Building (about 400 feet away); Minnie McDowal (about 700 feet away); LaJuan Schlegel (about 700 feet away); Ennis City Hall (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ennis.
Also see . . . Houston and Texas Central Railway. On September 1, 1856, the company was renamed Houston and Texas Central Railway Company. By April 22, 1861, the railroad was open eighty-one miles to Millican, but the Civil War prevented any additional construction until 1867. Source: The Handbook of Texas (Submitted on January 17, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 18, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 17, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 17, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.