Novi in Oakland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Colonel Samuel White / Samuel White Homestead
Colonel Samuel White
The Samuel White family was one of the first to settle in Novi Township. White (1794-1870) and his wife, Amanda (1799-1869), immigrated to this area from Royalton, New York, in 1827. White had recently retired from the army, ending a career that included service in the War of 1812. A prosperous farmer, White was the second supervisor of Novi, a delegate to the 1835 Michigan Constitutional Convention and active in numerous other civic endeavors. He built this house for his wife and four children around 1840.
Samuel White Homestead
This Greek Revival farm house, built by Samuel White, shows the influence of the people from upstate New York who first settled this area. The deed to the property was signed by John Quincy Adams. Built around 1840, the house retains its original architectural features. The classic entrance, friezes and returns are typical of the style. Heavy native beams support the house, which rests on a fieldstone foundation. The barn, part of the working farm until 1956 was converted to a house in 1980.
Erected 1984 by Michigan
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list.
Location. 42° 27.09′ N, 83° 30.01′ W. Marker is in Novi, Michigan, in Oakland County. Marker is on Nine Mile Road 0.3 miles west of Taft Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 46040 Nine Mile Road, Novi MI 48374, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Novi Township Hall (approx. one mile away); A Piece of Novi's History / The Fuerst Farmstead (approx. one mile away); High Performance Legend (approx. 1.1 miles away); Detroit Edison Company Building (approx. 1.6 miles away); Knapp Cemetery (approx. 1.6 miles away); Mill Race Historical Village (approx. 1.6 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Northville (approx. 1.7 miles away); Two Tracks in Town (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Novi.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 17, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 17, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 43 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 17, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.