Rice in Navarro County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Rice
On Feb. 21, 1875, three years after a rail line was built to the area, a group of local residents met to organize this congregation. Early worship services were conducted in the community schoolhouse. In 1894 a sanctuary was constructed at this site on land acquired from Rice Institute, a Houston organization founded by railroadman William Marsh Rice, for whom this town was named. For over a century, the First Baptist Church has led in the development of the area. Its role in the community continues to reflect the ideals of its pioneer founders.
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7194.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 32° 14.543′ N, 96° 29.881′ W. Marker is in Rice, Texas, in Navarro County. Marker is at the intersection of South Dallas Street and Benton Street, on the left when traveling south on South Dallas Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 South Dallas Street, Rice TX 75155, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as Rice (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Fortson Family (approx. 0.2 miles away); Haynes Memorial Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rice Cemetery (approx. one mile away); Alma (approx. 4.1 miles away); Navarro County (approx. 8.3 miles away); Burnam Square and Cemetery (approx. 9.4 miles away); Ennis City Hall (approx. 9˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rice.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 18, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 18, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 18, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.