College Grove in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Arno Community/Wesley Chapel Methodist Church
Arno was named by a U.S. Postal official after a river in Italy. The name has long outlasted the post office, which closed in 1908. Arno had a public school from 1893 until 1947. At the crossroads there was a country store built in 1893 by Magistrate E. K. “Lige” Smithson. It was operated in later years by Earl Culberson, E.E. "Red” Jordan, Frank Howard, James Culberson, Fred Hughes, Bob Sledge, and Milton Ryan, before it burned in 1982. The community was also served by Dr. Lowe and Dr. W. W. Graham, and by C.R. Pennington, a veterinarian and blacksmith. Other historic family names of the area include Burns, Crite, Crunk, Esmond, Frost, Harmon, Hatcher, Lillard, Miller, Petway, Pinkston, Robinson, Rucker, and White.
Wesley Chapel Methodist Church
The Wesley Chapel Methodist Church was established in 1834 by “The Four Billys" - William Rucker, William Burns, William Hatcher, and William Lanier. The building of homemade brick on Owen Hill Road was dedicated on May 24, 1835. In 1907 this building was torn down and a new building started in Arno on land deeded from
Erected 2004 by Williamson County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 35° 48.545′ N, 86° 44.367′ W. Marker is in College Grove, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker is on Arno Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6602 Arno Road, College Grove TN 37046, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rucker Cemetery (approx. 1˝ miles away); Sam and Kirk McGee (approx. 1.8 miles away); Peytonsville (approx. 2.2 miles away); Owen Hill (approx. 2.9 miles away); The Cove (approx. 3 miles away); College Grove, Tennessee (approx. 3.9 miles away); College Grove Methodist Church (approx. 3.9 miles away); Ogilvie Farm (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in College Grove.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 18, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 18, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.