Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old City Park
Indian tribes were once attracted to this park site by a series of natural springs, which became known as Browder Springs after Edward C. Browder (1825 - 1875) acquired the property in 1845. The springs figured in legislation which made Dallas the intersection of the Texas & Pacific and Houston & Texas Central Railroads in 1871 and launched the town's rapid growth.
On July 4, 1876, to honor the American Centennial, ten acres near the springs were set aside as Dallas' first municipal park. "City Park" was also known as "Eakins Park" because J. J. Eakin originally owned the land. By 1885 nine more acres, including the Browder Springs property, were added. The springs supplied water to the city, and the park grounds provided a center for leisure activities and group gatherings. A neighborhood of elegant homes, called "The Cedars," grew up nearby. The city's first zoo was here; fountains, greenhouses, tennis courts, a playground and a wading pool were later added. In 1936 the site was renamed "Sullivan Park" for Dallas Water Commissioner Dan L. Sullivan, but it remained popularly known as "Old City Park."
In 1966 the Dallas
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6808.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Parks & Recreational Areas • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 46.348′ N, 96° 47.283′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is at the intersection of Gano Street and Main Street, on the right when traveling south on Gano Street. The marker is just outside of the main entrance to Old City Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1515 S Harwood Street, Dallas TX 75215, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Miller Log Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); Millermore (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cherokees in Dallas (about 500 feet away); Browder Springs (about 500 feet away); Dallas Scottish Rite Temple (approx. half a mile away); City of Dallas (approx. 0.6 miles away); A. H. Belo Corporation (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Dallas Morning News (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 18, 2021, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 18, 2021, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.