1772: Michael Core settled at the future mill site. (Five years after Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon made their last boundary marker nearby on top of Brown's Hill, and four years before the Revolutionary War began, A solid stone creek bottom made a fording place there that was long known as Widow Core's Ford.)
1815: Michael Core died (43 years later). His son-in-law Abraham Brown acquired the property and constructed a flour mill.
1863: Abraham's son John Brown sold to Daniel Tennant, who expanded the mill's operations (48 years later, the year West Virginia became a state).
1868: Tennant sold to Isaac Core, who operated the mill as Core's Mill (five years later, 9-7-1868).
1871: Isaac Core sold it to Benjamin Core (three years later, 11-20-1871), who employed Leonard Shanks.
1884: Benjamin and Edgar W. Core sold the property to Leonard
1884-1921: Shanks operated the mill for 37 years. The last mill in the area, it was then dismantled.
1920: A.B. Price and Shanks each held an undivided one-half interest in the acreage. The property was s urveyed by G.F. Headley and the mill site ended up on Price's half, which his daughter Victoria Price Randolph inherited in 1934 and sold to William E. and Ona Pyles Lemley in December 1934. Sometime after the 1960s, someone moved the massive millstones from the creek bank to the adjacent field.
1982: The heirs of Roy S. Lemley inherited the property and millstones. Cam Lemley asked them to donate the millstones to Mason-Dixon Historical Park. They were placed at the park in 1996. The mill property was later sold to the Webber family.
Today: In the creek bottom one timber still remains of the dam shown above.
Millstones donated by: Lorene Ammons Lemley Priest,
Wilma Jean Lemley Furman, Charles Albert Lemley, David Roy Lemley, and Lois Elaine Lemley Corbin
Compiled by Betty L. Wiley from information in The Chronicles of Core by Dr. Earl L. Core.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 39° 42.832′ N, 80° 6.825′ W. Marker is in Core, West
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Catawba War Path (within shouting distance of this marker); Border Heroine (approx. Ό mile away); a different marker also named Catawba War Path (approx. half a mile away); Statler's Fort (approx. 1.3 miles away); Monongalia County / Pennsylvania (approx. 2.8 miles away); Blacksville (approx. 5 miles away); Mason-Dixon Line (approx. 5.3 miles away); Greene County Coal Miners Memorial (approx. 6 miles away in Pennsylvania).
Credits. This page was last revised on January 21, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 18, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 18, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.