Angus in Navarro County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The community of Angus began soon after rail lines were completed to this area in 1871. Three years later a public school was started under the direction of Lila Blackburn. The first schoolhouse was a two-room frame building that was moved several times before it was located here. In 1921 it was replaced by the present brick structure which provided space for several grades in each room. The school merged with the Corsicana district (4 mi. N) in 1941 and the schoolhouse later served as a community center.
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11600.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 32° 0.425′ N, 96° 26.107′ W. Marker is in Angus, Texas, in Navarro County. Marker is on Bonner Avenue 0.1 miles west of North Freeway Service Road (Frontage Interstate 45 Frontage Road), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Corsicana TX 75110, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Methodist Church of Richland Annie Carpenter Love (approx. 5.8 miles away); Richland Cemetery (approx. 5.8 miles away); Flag Memorial Richland Cemetery (approx. 5.8 miles away); Old Welding Shop of H. C. Nicol (approx. 5.9 miles away); Birthplace of the Texas Oil Industry (approx. 5.9 miles away); The Birthplace of the Petroleum Industry (approx. 5.9 miles away); First Commercial Oil Discovery in Texas (approx. 6 miles away).
Also see . . . Angus, Texas. It was established in 1871 by A. Angus and had the first hay press in that part of Texas. It was also known for its cattle industry, oil refineries, and vast amounts of fertile soil good for corn and wheat production. Source: The Handbook of Texas (Submitted on January 18, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 18, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 27 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 18, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.