M.E. South Church
The Church was established in 1892 in a little one room wooden structure. It remained as that structure until around 1919 when a new structure was built to replace it. During the Matewan Massacre in 1921, the residents of the community brought all the children out of the town to the church where games were played and the children were fed until the situation was resolved in town.
The current sanctuary was built in 1933 by Italian immigrant
stone cutters and the fellowship hall was added in 1955. The
stone work was used from the mountains in the local area. The
name of the church was later changed to the present name of
Matewan United Methodist Church. The church has experienced
numerous floods as well as fire damage throughout its history
but still remains a vital part of the community.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 37° 37.35′ N, 82° 9.8′ W. Marker is in Matewan, West Virginia, in Mingo County. Marker is on 1st Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Matewan WV 25678, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other
Credits. This page was last revised on January 27, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 18, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 18, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.